organizing, physical and digital files

Once again I am using this blog as a way to organize my struggles, in the hope i will figure out a solution,  or at least phrase the problem, in a way that others may help. 

I started with one of the physical file I inherited,  based on my correspondence  with someone in Germany trying to connect our ancestors. There is other information on the region and family in the file.

There should be a document tracking the effort and comparing the church data to familysearch. This is a recent process with a proliferation of such documents, because I keep getting preempted. An overview is needed. It's a pity I can't use Google docs to build an index with cross referencing other documents. Do I want to switch tools? Naming convention 
I hope they are all somewhere under the genealogy folder. 

This file is one of many that I inherited and am calling dad's archive. I have started a finders aid in a Google doc outlining the contents. I feel like it makes sense to print off the file relevant bit and put it at the beginning of the file. Wish I could easily (un)hide lower levels of the outline for an overview .

 I have a Google drive folder including scans of some of physical file contents. They need to be renamed from img#. I also have a Google  doc transcribing the letter.

 Add  another relative also going through his files, letters, and photo albums. The majority of the digital images from a file are in a Google photo album. Faces and names in correspondence need tagging, but I don't have permission. File names require drilling down to see. At this point I am unaware of a strategy. He has a Google doc letter transcription (he's been thru the process once with my guidance). I have several, name started with YYYYMMDD of the correspondence. They should be in a corresponding folder. Should the folder contain a task document tracking progress? I am failing to leave it to him as he wanted me to translate this letter (again) and I want to cite events in that one.

Recently he emailed me a picture and asked me to send it to Germany for help identifying people. (Another task report) This got my generation and I updating our contact lists. Since the branch took some thought for me to remember, I created a descendant tree. We are updating it with the changing generations. I printed it out and put it in the file. I also added the wiki page for the one who is a pro athlete.
It feels like the right file with the rest of the family info. However I wonder if I am defining the archive. I did date the addition in the finder's aid.  



(I have added the people to GRAMPs. When did the decendant report eliminate the ability to print dates for live people? As a generated file is in Downloads/GRAMPS/Desc<name>.odt)

I seem  to have a new structure:
Genealogy/Archive/<owner>/
It  contains a finders aid, and a directory structure similar to that of the archive.
There always seemed to be a task list based on the it. For each document,
Is it digitized? Transcribed? Translated? Cited?  That's starting to feel like a spreadsheet.

I feel like the transcriptions need provenance. I just spent a bit scribbling on the back of one.  Now I need to look at the finders aid and not yet implemented task list again. Then I am back to having related bits across archives. So I guess letters belong with the author.

Allegedly google permits 5 labels per file.
Considering research report, memories (ie pies, covid, tbd germany, bikes)...
Finders aid is in the name. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

digitizing dad's slides and old home movies

Transferring GEDCOM from familysearch to gramps - setup