I remember when... or try to

Events associated with a place

Recently I saw a picture of a frozen Barnegat Bay, that had me flashing back to a time with  people driving on the ice and falling thru. I had a range of years it could have been, but not a precice cold snap. So I googled it and found a newspaper article, I found it interesting and  worthy of sharing. (To be fair I have memories of ice skating, an ocean beach fire permit, and assorted other things too.)

However the people in the article were not ones I knew, so in GRAMPS I started attaching them to the town my family owned in but never had a residence. Technically it is not even  a town in the article, it is across the bridge near which the one car sank. (BTW this blo wganted to self configure a link instead of using the embed html that newspapers.com offered.) In my mind the further spot  was straight across the bay from our boats and in the range of "stay in sight" to play and was where we took power  boats for gas, so still associated with the town.  Since I am not happy with how the reports often ignore citations associated with people, I don't have high hopes for this as a method of actually sharing, which brings me back to just writing a research report relative to this. Yet another document.

While there are lots of memories,  not many of them are in the news. This let me down the path of  what else made the news that impacted me there?   An obvious one was Superstorm Sandy. To me this was relevant to a process blog, because it was the first time I was really scouring social media for really local current information. Everybody saw the roller coaster in the ocean. How many recognized the stop sign as a wind gage looking out to the bay on the Weather Channel as being, "mine"?  But the video from a a boat going down the bayfront was shared on Facebook.  Did I ever manage to configure it as an event that was easy to get back to? Apprently I associated the event with a picture of the rollercoaster. sigh.

I looked up a long term fish market/restaurant closing  - the newspaper referenced a facebook announcement.  

As I google for more recent events I was more likely to get videos than newpapers. Wikipedia was also interesting. Went to newspapers,com and  searched on "Seaside Park" in New Jersey and sorted from newest. There's several from Chistmas week (or last month or the end of last year). I did not know how to get to the beginning of an article on another page. A Family History Finatics tutorial showed how to browse thru location, paper, year, to get a better feel for the time covered. So this is more about search engines than what is out there. I also used zillow sold dates to help my fuzzy memory

And life interrupts before I get to 9/11 occuring while I was in SP. 

At this point I also have an overlapping Google Sheet of  events also including some  "town" stuff and a selection of milestone family events. 

places associated with people

While GRAMPS has an event type, property , looking at familysearch, there is only a residence. This led me down trying to clean up my dad's residences. While these had been populated by attaching sources (census and public records), they were not attached to events. Went back and deleted duplicates and tagged sources... Have no idea how to clean up a census of same house to a census prior to the person's birth. I also don't know how to handle the census deciding the farm was in a "different place".  

WHile in the attaching mode I failed to attach  a person that married into the family to a record.

research log?

Additionally I have started an electronic calendar to attempt to track where my time goes. I tend to create an event titled "genealogy: <whatever>" for easy seaching before the family monthly meetings. I tend to copy interesting URLs there as well as into GRAMPS. This is not tracking what I have tried that has failed - then I would have a research log.  (put information in the tree, adding sources often takes as long, and now research?)

I may be more receptive to presentations on research logs. I recently observed that familysearch suggests a lot of work for me, be it in the form of hints, sources with unattached people, or etc. I am definitely tired of tired of probably trying the fix the same thing more than once. (That's before I merge with these tree snippets that seem to be popping up based on one source.) I have not figured out how to track this. Something to sleep on. I can't help feel that getting a central collection point for each individual is a part of it. 


Comments

  1. Am experimenting with goldie may for research log and project mgmt. First project contains process questions encountered looking at familysearch residences/sources/other property for dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

digitizing dad's slides and old home movies

Can of worms - one thing leading to so many others

Transferring GEDCOM from familysearch to gramps - setup