Familysearch Center EB, An exciting day.

I had three goals. Did the last one change? Lots of new information today. Maybe should have taken more notes in my calendar or the Goldie May log. Let's face it this is my document for me and to share with family and friends that share the hobby.

 Get the laptop online, so I can do research from the parking lot.


I tried to follow the instructions on my first visit and failed to get quite there. Upon reading the (printed) ... document at home, scribbled in the margins it said: "if you fail, reboot". I am not sure how many windows update forced reboots have happened, but definitely have done that since. Viola. It connected. the helpful volunter reminded me about the chrome exttension (green when connected), and fed me the  alternate familysearch website, https://www.familysearch.org/centers/portal . And I was off. I was so happy to be functional that I stayed on my laptop instead of switching to thier desktops with big screens. 

One of the two other users (names scribbled in my calendar) said the parking lot connection left something to be desired. Indeed, from in my car, where it was parked, nothing. Got out and walked towards the room, connected, and back in my car dropped. Drove to the opposite end of the short line of cars and parked for 2 bars. I had to remind myself that looking at google maps street view on the volunteer's computer was painfully slow. (We had family connections a stone's throw away through the generations and were looking at what things looked like now. fun!)

However before I get too excited, there are a list of tools and credentials that this location does not have a copy of. :(  (BTW The phone line failed after some project...)  :(

Mine some restricted information; log with Goldie May (GM)

The restricted information I actually rememberd was GenealogyBank.

  1. familysearch.org
  2. karen>sourcebox
  3. search yielded 10 results. These will show more information with a drop down. Happened to start with the closest relation at the bottom of the list. This was good for lesser scrolling without closing them.  SHOULD HAVE DONE ALL SOURCES: missed those in folders.
  4. login using volunteer's personal account !! - don't just  shut windows at end, log out. That's using the website's hamburger at the top, not chrome's elipses.
  5. In goldie may logged 3 sources:Maybe modify abstract, modify citation (new bookmark icon), and add screenshots.   and yes lots of people were referencing the same document - logging them again just bumped a counter. I like Goldie May for this and dislike familysearch/GEDCOM X. Did not pass thru the link page to possibly log that for tracking purposes. Not sure it is really worth the noise. The person's name was obvious, but the PID was not immediately available for adding to the project page. (I am used to interfaces that complete upon enter. I need to be careful to click the button to complete the action - ie save, add, ....)
  6. Added the one new citation to GRAMPS once outside the net. The others I had gotten from other sources. been Adding a comment to the log with gramps and the citation number. This is not searchable. Side note: due to the size of image files and the incompatibiblity between software packages, I am in the habit of logging transcriptions. Not clear the software is that consistant for this either. However I got a strong message that if you want to share the images you need to obtain them from the microfiche in Trenton ... or maybe at Rutgers' Alexander Library, but transscriptions are ok to cite and share.
  7. what does the exported TSV file look like? Is it useful? kept changing the log after that dump before I left. Use chrome download information to open the file explorer with the file. Opened google sheets>create new. Import from computer. Drag file between windows. replace current sheet.  Like having GoldieMay and date in the file name. Changed the project number to a more descriptive name.  File>move to my genealogy folder. Headers were: objective_title created_at url title abstract comments_count comments_for_csv likes_count dislikes_count visits_count citation The free version only exported the first three. Copying and pasting the transcription to the abstract works. Next time I have to pay more attention to what GM automatically fills in. There were transciption files and image files that were handled differently. For the transcriptions the  log titles (in the extension, not the spreadsheet) were of the form <name> - GenealogyBank. For the images, they all said "news article" I tended to throw the name in abstract, which is smaller for scanning in the extension, but actually gets exported. The images do not get an automatic citation (sentence added after looking at spreedsheet). Still playing with my usage pattern. Totally missed "is:restricted" - got to see that again.
  8. backup tsv?  also can look at using libre calc. Having done it once, it now shows up in the tool list of open with  (I dont pay for Microsoft EXCEL nor mess with the allegedly free web 365.)
Clearly I need to think about how I want to grow a task list growing forward. I am leaning towards putting the page linking a person to a document in the GM project task list. But how do I populate the thus neglected thing? I have so many things to do on a per person basis, I feel like a spreadsheet might be good. I am intimidated by the scale.

Experiment with Goldie May paid features (subway, canvas, windows&tabs)

Actually brought of subway and was starting to look at recommended resources. Some were locational familysearch wiki pages. Was too busy getting acquainted. Besides I skipped the in depth videos on these topics.

Volunteers and other sidebars

Both of the volunteers I have met have been welcoming and helpful. I think today's is a professional genealogist with a wealth of knowlege. I found one of her statements interesting: Before covid people came in asking for help with thier tree. Since covid they come in asking for help with some task or tool.
The other users were also helpful. We all worked and chatted. Nice.

https://familytreewebinars.com has some temporaritly free content, like the cindi ingles presentation on institutions last week. something about Wed?

ancestry.com


I think number 3 was can you get to your private ancestry tree from the library access? Clearly my goals should have been put in my calendar beforehand.

After mulling for a few days, I think I should run search on ancestry and other paid tools, starting with my parrents.

I also noticed that reunion has a search link from individuals.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

digitizing dad's slides and old home movies

Can of worms - one thing leading to so many others

Transferring GEDCOM from familysearch to gramps - setup