scanza and slides

Around Thanksgiving I decided to get moving on digitizing dad's slides and movies. I was feeling pressure because these degrade over time. The thought was I would delegate it to get better quality and save myself some time. I was however nervous about sending these irreplacable things off somewhere else.

Social Media and my experience:

Since covid I have been trying to post in Facebook daily - what made today different? what were things that made me smile? ... I linked to that blog entry on slides. I mentioned the adventure of retrieving the slides from dad'd house. Someone offered to loan me thier scanza. I knew myself well enough to recognize it had the potential to preempt other things and at least got my taxes to the accountant before picking it up. In any case before I was ready to pull together another blog, I just started to jot notes on facebook with some pictures. While I don't feel like I am done figuring it out, I think it is time pull those notes together as other things are pulling me away.

Who am I doing this for? Me - why haven't I just looked at them with dad's old equipment? Fear of burning films or wierd ligtbulbs they don't make anymore.  I am enjoying looking at the pictures. Some pictures are some head scratchers. To share with family? Putting a small subset on facebook (and a smaller subset on instagram - what happened to crossposting to fb?) has been an interesting expriment. That  likes reward me for the effort, but I just melted over a response of the pictures of  the namesake  greatgrandson. Who is interested in what and using which tools? It has also given me the opportunity ask questions in an attempt to bring the tree up to date. This is not a good long term solution as fb makes the files smaller and it is hard to find things again later.

Google:


I like google for sharing with authentication across platforms. I accidentally dragged the pictures to my drive rather than to photos. Does it really not count towards my quota? No, it counts. Slideshows  work as expected. Searching for a list of  names separated with a verticle bar gets you the pictures any of these people appear in. However searching on nick did not get me nickname. Need to go back and try *. Nope.

The description from google did not share. Can see that the file was edited but not the text. Tried both on computer thru chrome and on android thru drive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata#Photographs
Using microsoft photos to edit locally did work for editing the discription.
Do I want drive installed on my dell to sync?
Do I want  a separate larry windows sign in?
Do I want drive installed on my computer? Do I need a separate sign on for dad? and a microsoft account?
So this turned out to be a rabbit hole. Went thru updates of Windows and apps with reboots.
It seems fine.



UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!

Scanza


Using scanza on dad's slides day 1:
I need an SD card. What do I have? idk. Run to Target and pick up a SandDisk microSDXC UHS-I with adaper. (the loyalty thing suddenly does not like my phone number.)
How do I power it? It comes with a collection of plugs. End up using the included USB to USB-? cable and the adapter at hand for charging my watch.
I judge the trays to be of flimsy plastic and am nervous opening slide adapter 1 (and there's no chance of my pushing my slightly warped slides thru this tray.) I am pretty sure these are 35mm slides. Did not see it in the menu config; used 110. Viola, there is an identifyable image on the screen. Hit the little camera button and it says SAVING... . Unfortunately 10 minutes later it still says that and has not gone into power saving mode. I am getting nervous about melting film. Hello internet: Clearly not the first with this problem. Try formatting the disk. there's actually a slot in my dell. grab the microdisk out of the adaptor. File explorer on D: Right mouse. quick or not? what format? with with not quick and FAT and went to bed.

Using scanza on dad's slides day 2:
Looked at File Explorer and the reformat had completed. R mouse > eject. push in mini disk to pop out. put back in adapter and then into scanner. It saved fairly quickly. putting the tray in and out is clunky.
You can either look at photos from the computer OR scan as controlled by the menu. Given my laptop does not have a big usb port, I just switched the card: IMG00001.JPG... A second pass thru the slides is needed to rename the files or otherwise capture label information . I am wondering where this little box is that you could put a slide in and hold up to a light source. I do have another box to bring home.
This black box with a clear yellow lid seems to have tourist purchased slides from the way they are typed up. The scrimshaw looks pretty good. Some of those grand canyon ones need adjusting either thru the scanner or some other software as they are way too green.
Day 4 I am starting to think citations. Totally have not dealt with Repository definition yet. Also as I started to add desciptions in google drive, I realized I missed some pictures. Did not put in? Did not hit scan? ??? Thanks to those who gave me details to add. Clearly the after processing time has well out weighed scanning despite putting in many the wrong way.
PS images are just shy of 5KB... and I fit 136 pictures. Then it hung saving...
PS It is not like I have spent all day on any of these. I just do it on the odd hour between things.





Citing things has become very important in genealogy. From glancing  "Evidence Explained" (2nd edition of 4) by Elizabeth Shown Mills (check spelling) what I got for photos was subcollection. collection, repository details
What I had started with:
From the collection of LWPaffendorf. Scanned by Karen Paffendorf. "slide writing (inferences}"
What to do when the existing index says something different than what's on the slide?
I probably should include the containter and number and the filename.
In talking with my more experienced Tuesday morning genealogists is that I need to describe the repository and what's in it. I was already struggling with this for documents...

Next:

  • catch up on index to pictures
  • scan the rest of the slides
  • the occasional negative
  • movies?

For Later:

  • describe archive
  • Backups and technical obsolecence are still a concern.
  •  I am not yet on board with the whole archive preservation path.

Comments

  1. simple citation: https://www.scribbr.com/citing-sources/cite-an-image/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

digitizing dad's slides and old home movies

Can of worms - one thing leading to so many others

Transferring GEDCOM from familysearch to gramps - setup